(Jonah fighting the scooter)
Conversations with Jonah can be difficult.
They usually begin with him asking,
"Mom, who do you want to be?"
Then he gives me the choices.
(Taken from whatever game he's "into" at the time.)
"Mom, do you want to be a black dragon, or a green dragon, or a necromancer, or a minotaur, or a sorceress, or a knight, or a warlock . . ." and then my head starts spinning and I have to ask him to start over. That doesn't make things any clearer, because I don't know who (or what) they are, so I usually ask him to just TELL ME who I should be. That usually doesn't work. He says I have to decide for myself. I try to choose one at random, but I invariably choose the wrong one. Jonah then tells me why that was a bad choice, and asks if I want to pick someone else. After a few more guesses, we agree on a character for me to play, and he starts telling me about our adventures. I have a hard time following along. He often talks to me while I'm making dinner, and it's difficult for me to read and follow a recipe while trying to pay attention to Jonah's report of various battles. It's very real to him, but confusing for me. Most of our conversations end with me having a head ache, and him thinking his mother is a lousy teammate in the war against evil. Poor Jonah.
6 comments:
Don't worry. I'm sure Jonah will have you whipped into prime evil-fighting shape before long. Until then, I'm sure he will settle for being able to have that one-on-one mom time, even if he has to explain things to you using small words and talking very slowly ;)
My kids just tell me who I am in their little game. But usually I'm the girl in the scenario, so it's easy for me to remember, and my part is easy too (getting rescued). That's awesome that he has such a grasp of who/what is better.
You obviously need to play more games, then Jonah wouldn't have to explain them all. :)
I sometimes get in trouble too when I don't pick the right thing. I try to explain that if you tell me to pick you should accept what I pick. Somehow that doesn't make sense to my girls. I hope Jonah is able to win his wars even without you. :)
Psssh! Well, I'm glad the fate of middle-earth isn't in YOUR hands!
Oh, he is so Dylan. :) Dylan just jabbers my ear off from the second he wakes up until the second he goes to sleep.
Post a Comment