Two days ago, I got to go on a field trip with Bentley.
The Utah Lake Commission sponsored field trips for
4th grade classes that used a customized Utah Lake
curriculum. The kids in Bentley's class attended
workshops about macro-invertebrates of Utah Lake
(mostly bugs), wetlands, native fish and endangered
species (mostly june sucker propaganda), casting
a fishing line, and a nature walk.
Aside from the june sucker information,*
it was a really neat field trip. I think the kids were
interested in almost every class, and learned a lot.
It was also a near perfect day for the trip.
It was warm and overcast, not too hot, and we got just
It was warm and overcast, not too hot, and we got just
one light sprinkling of rain. (unlike Jonah's zoo trip last week)
*As I understand it, the June Sucker is fish that
is only found in Utah Lake. It is currently endangered,
and because of the Endangered Species Act,
the federal government is obligated
to try and save it. To do this, they will reroute
the Provo River, among other things.
I have heard nothing but negative things about
both the fish and the rescue project,
but the park rangers and other government
workers at Utah Lake raved about the fish and even
handed out stickers and key chains for the kids.
Seemed like a lot of propaganda to me, but at least we
got a great field trip out of it.

2 comments:
That's interesting, about the June Suckers. I really dislike propaganda. I'm glad you guys got some good weather, and that the kids get good-quality field trips like this. It's so important to get in some hands-on learning.
Glad it was a mostly good field trip and that you didn't get rained on too much.
Post a Comment