Despite the fact that we live only about an hour from
Salt Lake City's Hogle Zoo, our kids have never been!
We've taken them to the Idaho Falls Zoo and the
Los Angeles Zoo, so they aren't "zoo-less," but still . . .
Today the first grade classes at our school went to the zoo.
I signed up to attend because I wanted to see Jonah's face
as he got to see all of the different animals. I knew he'd love it.
The bad sightseeing luck that I'd had in NY continued -
it rained the entire time we were at the zoo.
Jonah didn't mind, though. In fact, he was thrilled to get
the chance to use his umbrella. We walked through the
rain and the mud and managed to see quite a few animals.
While we ate lunch, I asked Jonah and his buddy what
they wanted to see more than anything else at the zoo.
Jonah's buddy wanted to see the rhinos, and Jonah wanted
to see the jaguars. After we found the rhinos,
Jonah changed his mind and said he wanted to see the wolves.
We spent the last 30 minutes of our field trip trying to find
the elusive wolves, and when we finally arrived at their
exhibit - there were no wolves! Jonah thought that he had
caught a glimpse of the wolves at the very top of the exhibit,
and that helped temper his disappointment. We left
the wolf area and walked around and up to the bus area.
Just as we were leaving the zoo, we saw two grey wolves
lounging around at the very top of their exhibit.
Jonah was thrilled and I was relieved.
A successful trip to the zoo (rain and all)!
Jonah even got to ride a wolf on the carousel. Hurrah!

2 comments:
How fun! I remember going when we were much, much younger. Wo and Becky want to take their kids...I vote we take a family trip to Hogle this summer. All in favor?
My kids have never been to the zoo either. I'm glad Jonah found the wolves. Sorry about the rain!
Post a Comment